Balance Comments

I really appreciate the comments I get on this blog but I'm a bit lousy at answering them, as those of you who get a reply weeks or months later already know! I've been making an effort to catch up lately and while doing so, I was struck by the insightful comments I got on last month's Falling Off Beams post: it seems that I'm not alone in struggling to find a balance between life and art. Instead of answering the comments individually, I thought I'd quote them here and just for a bit of fun, I set myself the challenge of going to the sites of those who commented and trying to find an image that related to the idea of balance.

Vivien Blackburn wrote:

That description of childhood gym and the terror of that beam for an un-athletic child with no balance brought back memories for me!

me too

and yes, life is often like that

Vivien was easy; on visiting her site, I immediately spotted this beautiful charcoal drawing of an apparently impossibly balanced rock.

Vivien Blackburn: Rocks above Sennen Cove, Charcoal

iHanna wrote:

Thanks for writing what I’m feeling too Kristy! All those unwritten blog posts, all those things one plan and never will get to! :-)

calmness and chaos!

More chaos than calm by the look of it - iHanna's moleskine notebook is full and so is her brain!

iHanna: Image from Moleskine journal

Annalisa from Kaizen Journey wrote:

Well said! I feel as though I have been buffeted by conflicting forces for awhile now too, and like you said balance can be hard to find but the struggle for it is what makes life lively…

This was a tougher choice, I could have chosen some of Annalisa's lovely symmetrical shibori but in the end, I decided on this delicate floating image. Maybe on the days when balance feels hard we can all try to breath deep, lie back and just float a little?

Alsokaizen: In Solution

Daniel Sroka wrote:

I have a partially written post just like this one sitting in my blog’s Drafts folder. I believe that you may need the tension between what you have to do and what you want to do in order to move ahead with either. It is the energy created by the two, like a magnetic force, that pushes you forward.

Wise words there from Daniel, I shall try to keep them in mind the next time I'm beating myself up for not working hard enough. I knew I'd be spoilt for choice on Daniel's site and indeed, the problem wasn't finding something appropriate but narrowing it down to just one image.

Daniel Sroka: Flight

dryadart wrote:

good to know there are others struggling to make room in a “real” life for the art they must make… some days one feels so alone… balance, peace, space, wisdom, all such elusive and fleeting things, thanks for the post

I just loved this quirky drawing from dryadart. I enjoyed the sense that all the figures were slightly off balance, the centre figure in particular looks like she's about to fall.

Lee from Dancing Crow wrote:

thank you for a reminder that balance is not-falling, rather than any simple pose that can be maintained over time. I am flailing my workroom, trying to winnow and weed and return to the pristine space only things I really want to work on. An impossible task, of course, all the old projects and ideas are crowding about looking for a chance to be made (or finished) as well as new ideas…

And here's a perfect image from Lee to finish.

Lee: Untitled

Thanks to everyone who commented, I appreciated all your words of wisdom - although it did make me wonder if any of us are ever in balance? If you have any tips or tricks to finding a balance between your life and your art, then please let me know because it sounds as many of us could do with some help in that department!

10 thoughts on “Balance Comments

1. Pingback:

2. To attain balance - stand on one foot. Stand on the other one. Experiment with handstands and headstands. Feel where gravity is.

When you are not falling over, or falling off, you are balanced.

more or less

3. To attain balance - stand on one foot. Stand on the other one. Experiment with handstands and headstands. Feel where gravity is.

When you are not falling over, or falling off, you are balanced.

more or less

4. The image you pulled was one of inukshuk I drew after coming back from a trip to Nunavut territory,(Baffin Island), it was a fabulous adventure, I got to ride with sled dogs across the ice and paint and sketch on the frozen tundra. It was so awe inspiring. The Inuit used standing stones like this as way markers because the territory is so devoid of natural landmarks. they are supposed to look like people and are made from balanced stones, so good choice!!

5. The image you pulled was one of inukshuk I drew after coming back from a trip to Nunavut territory,(Baffin Island), it was a fabulous adventure, I got to ride with sled dogs across the ice and paint and sketch on the frozen tundra. It was so awe inspiring. The Inuit used standing stones like this as way markers because the territory is so devoid of natural landmarks. they are supposed to look like people and are made from balanced stones, so good choice!!

6. Pingback: