My Garden Studio

Pins In Cotton Reel
Kirsty Hall: Pins In Cotton Reel, May 2009

Yesterday was a glorious sunny day, so I made the most of it by taking one of my current projects out to the garden. Soaking up some fresh air and Vitamin D whilst making art, what could be better?

I've done a huge amount of work on the garden this year and it's really paying off: it's a lovely place to sit and work now.

The view to the left of the bench:
The view from the bench
Kirsty Hall: Looking Across The Lawn To The Air Garden, May 2009

The view to the right of the bench:
The Shrubbery
Kirsty Hall: The Shubbery, May 2009

I needed to turn the hem on a piece of linen so it can be hung from a wooden pole but it already had a thick seam and wouldn't fit in my sewing machine, so I decided to hand sew it.

Work In Progress
Kirsty Hall: Work In Progress, May 2009

Sitting in the sunshine listening to the sounds of birds, bees and children while I pulled my needle through soft, white linen, I experienced a profoundly productive peace even when my thread tied itself into subtle knots.

Plying My Needle

I've always said that I hate sewing and only do it when it's necessary for art purposes but yesterday, I finally reached an understanding with it and I suddenly felt that I could actually come to like sewing. It was a deeply satisfying experience.

The all-important cup of tea, without which no art would ever get made!
Tea & Thread

12 thoughts on “My Garden Studio

1. I love the pins photo and you're right about the tea: good things come of tea. Your mug is awesome; I love that design company but can never decide which one to buy!

Your garden looks lovely.

2. I love the pins photo and you're right about the tea: good things come of tea. Your mug is awesome; I love that design company but can never decide which one to buy!

Your garden looks lovely.

3. Thanks Steve, I've been finding my garden a wonderful creative outlet lately but I have to be careful that it doesn't eat all my time and energy and leave me with none for my art.

4. Post author

5. Hi Felix, thanks for the compliment on the photo. Strictly speaking the mug belongs to my wife because she used to be a neuroscientist but I often steal it because it makes me laugh.

6. Post author

7. Ha, I promise that we haven't put in a swimming pool or a helipad since you were last here, Gyrus. But yeah, there are a few more shrubs and a nice bark chip path.

I've got masses of veg on the go too. Hopefully by the time you come to visit there might be some strawberries and salad ready.

8. Post author