Sequin Apron

So, I reckon it's time to show you what I've been working on for the last couple of months. I'd have blogged about this sooner but it's an absolute pain to photograph and I had to do four or five different photo shoots before I got anything I could bear to publish.

Meet my sequin apron!

Sequin Apron 07
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, July 2009

Yep, in my infinite wisdom, I am covering the whole of this apron in sequins.

It's part of a triptych of apron pieces about motherhood. I've had the three aprons for several years but it took me a while to decide exactly what to do with them. This one represents the 'yummy mummy' aspect of motherhood; all the good, precious and wonderful parts. The other two aprons will be much more conflicted and darker in tone.

Sequin Apron 09
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, June 2009

The back of the apron: I'm being very good and sewing in all my ends as I go along.

Sequin Apron 06
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, July 2009

This piece had a bit of a rocky start. In February I bought samples of different kinds in creams, white and translucent sequins and after some thought, I decided on the ones on the left.

Sequin Apron 01
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, June 2009

Unfortunately, when I'd used up the small test amount I'd bought, I discovered to my horror that the shop where I'd bought them had replaced them with a very similar but slightly brighter version that Just Didn't Work. I then spent about two months trying to find the correct ones before finding the cream ones on the right and deciding to completely start over with them. As you can probably imagine, I bought lots of this replacement colour choice!

Sequin Apron 02
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, June 2009

It was annoying at the time - especially since I had to unpick that large section on the left - but I think the cream ones are a better fit for the piece. They're a closer match to the colour of the apron whilst still being iridescent from certain angles, which is what I'd originally been aiming for. I wanted a subtle hint of bling but nothing too over the top.

Sequin Apron 08
Kirsty Hall, Sequin Apron, July 2009

Now that I've got over that bump, the apron is coming on well although it's a slow piece to make. I've been working on it for at least an hour most days for the last six weeks but I'm expecting it to take me at least another two months. A couple of days ago, I was feeling very pleased with myself for filling in an area of about 6 square inches over a period of three hours. Then I hung it up, held it out and realised just how much there was still to go and I just started laughing hysterically at how utterly mad I am.

19 thoughts on “Sequin Apron

1. Well done Kirsty, I love your apron and the madness, it is inspiring! I don't have your patience, but I think it is great to spend so long on a piece of work. Looking forward to the next two.

Reply:

@marianne potterton
    Well, everyone has different art rhythms and I genuinely enjoy these sort of crazy, time-consuming projects for some strange reasons. I also do other things, like drawing, that are much quicker because it's good to break it up a bit.

2. Well done Kirsty, I love your apron and the madness, it is inspiring! I don't have your patience, but I think it is great to spend so long on a piece of work. Looking forward to the next two.

Reply:

@marianne potterton

3. You are a little mad! But it is going to be a beautiful piece when you finally get finished! :)

Reply:

Thank you, missmilki. I've been getting good responses to it over on Twitter too, which is encouraging.

4. You are a little mad! But it is going to be a beautiful piece when you finally get finished! :)

Reply:

5. I never thought of sewing the sequins on that way, I usually go through and use a stop bead. The aprons will be awesome and worth the time, I'm sure. I'm so glad I found your blog!

Reply:

Thanks for stopping by, Andi. I'm doing the sequins this way because I don't really know very much about sewing. I've never even heard of a 'stop bead'. Will I kick myself if I go and look it up, I wonder? I'm betting it's quicker!

6. I never thought of sewing the sequins on that way, I usually go through and use a stop bead. The aprons will be awesome and worth the time, I'm sure. I'm so glad I found your blog!

Reply:

7. Kirsty,
    The apron is wonderful, I love the pattern you're creating with the sequins. Like Andi, I usually use a stop bead but love the lines of the thread against the sequins. I love your artwork and your blog!

Reply:

Thanks Rebecca, I'm glad you enjoy what I do. Lines are very important in my work, so although stop beads sound interesting, I'm glad that I'm sewing on the sequins this way. In theory I'm trying to get the lines of thread to all go in the same direction but it's not very exact and I've decided that I'm OK with that - I like a bit of an organic look to my repetition.

8. Kirsty,

Reply:

9. CindyMorefield

These aprons are fabulous, Kirsty. I'm rather drawn to obsessive techniques myself, but yours take the cake in that department! But they are wonderful, which is the important thing. Love the pelt, too, from your studio video a few posts back.