’52’ Exhibition

Sorry for the radio silence - those of you who follow me on Twitter will know I was busy making and installing a brand new piece for an exhibition last week. Then I had to stay in my pyjamas for four days because exhibitions turn me into a zombie artist. Braaaaiiinnnnns (ahh, I feel better after that).

'52 drawings' in progress
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

'52' was a group show curated by Camilla Stacey and Claire Platt, who work together under the moniker, Calm Air All Ice. Instead of just putting on a show of their own work, they decided it would be far easier to invite 50 of their favourite artists to show with them in Room212. Did I mention that Rooom212 is the smallest gallery in Bristol.

And in my infinite wisdom, I decided five days before the show to do 52 little drawings, coat them in wax so they could be seen from both sides, tie them all together with bits of thread and then suspend them in the window. Instead of doing something utterly crazy and unthinkable like just framing a couple of pieces that might possibly sell!

I'm blaming Camilla for this madness because she foolishly mentioned in passing that she was hoping I'd do a sculptural window piece.

Also, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

These things often do.

The drawings fell somewhere between realism and abstraction...
'52 drawings' in progress
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

...and referred to maps, diagrams, aerial photography, archaeology and suchlike things.
'52 drawings' in progress
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

For inspiration I looked at two of my favourite books, The Landscape Of Man by Geoffrey Jellicoe and Susan Jellicoe and Anno's Journey by Mitsumasa Anno.

I'm very into torn edges at the moment...
'52 drawings' in progress
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

...and I find it freeing to draw on non-rectangular pieces of paper.
'52 drawings' in progress
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

The drawings were easy - tying them together and getting them to hang properly was the tricky bit!
'52 drawings'
Kirsty Hall: '52 Drawings For Claire & Camilla', March 2010

Although I got the work up on time, I was quite mind-bogglingly disorganised about this show. I didn't do a mail-out for it and I didn't go back and get better photos because I collapsed with exhaustion afterwards. I'm feeling quite cross with myself about those two things. I'm trying to work out how I can do better in the future because if I'm being truthful, documentation and mail-outs are always a bit of a problem for me. I need better systems. Or a minion.

I did enjoy making the piece though. Even though it was a bit last minute, it was fun to have a break from the sequin apron (which is still trundling along like some relentless World War One tank) and I enjoyed actually completing a piece in less than a week. I'm still too close to it to know if it was any good or not but hey, I liked it.

The rest of the show was lovely - Claire and Camilla did a stunning job of hanging a huge number of pieces and there was a lot of good quality work. You can read a good review of the show here and there's also a series of mini-interviews with most of the artists over at the Calm Air All Ice blog. I bought a small piece by Cathy Cullis and would happily have bought works by several other artists if I'd had the money.

14 thoughts on “’52’ Exhibition

1. suziechaney

even tho' you are not happy with the photograph, I think the work looks so delicate and very interesting.....and if you enjoyed the making process, that's the best part of all!

2. haha! This is so you! I can't actually imagine you working like the rest of us and choosing 5 pieces from your "inventory" to hang. It looks great, and I'm intrigued about waxing drawings now.

And I like Cathy Cullis' work too, so congrats on the new acquisition!

3. I'd love to have seen this. The waxed paper must have been lovely. I like the torn edges too.
    I get your frustration about not being able to do mail outs and stuff. Sometimes it is that we only have enough energy for the making and not enough left over for the promoting. But I think that is okay. This is art, not business. It is enough that your work is in the world, don't beat yourself up by thinking that it has to be successful everytime. Anyway, us on this 'ere blog got to see and appreciate it!

4. I LOVE Anno's Journey!! And your work is beautiful. I love the little-ness of it.
    I found you thru your comment on LaVonne's blog. What is your particular chronic illness? I just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

5. Hi Trece, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which often manifests new and interesting ways just to keep me on my toes. At the moment I've got dizziness + tiredness + weird muscle glitches.

I like the littleness of my work too, the pieces can be quite big though because although I work on small scale, I often do massive amounts.

6. This is exactly it, Kruse - I had limited time and limited energy and lots of other things had been going on so I wasn't as focused on the show as I normally would have been. And the show was still fairly well attended - the good thing about being in a show with 51 other people is that some of them publicised it.

7. I do sort of have an inventory. Sort of. But none of it seemed quite right and I don't like framing, so I didn't get round to doing that part. I am a bad business-person.

With the wax, I drew on the paper with ink first and then used uncoloured encaustic wax with an encaustic iron to soak the paper.

8. Yeah, I did have an assistant for a little while and it really helped but then she moved away and I haven't replaced her because I haven't got the money. It's a bit of a vicious circle to be honest - to improve my health I need more help but I can't get help until I start to make some money but to make some money I need to be less ill.

9. Oh man, do I know what you mean there. I've been slowly getting better
    over the past six months or so, or I wouldn't be able to do the blog
    thing at all. For me, what's helped has been watching my diet much
    more carefully, eating organically, and taking lots of supplements.
    I'm sure you're doing the same.

10. Понимаете, если человек обладает высоким IQ, то он проспамит все что угодно так, что автор блога особо и не подумает, что это спам.